Job Title : Horse Care Apprentice with Layham Hall
Employer : Layham Hall
Location : Colchester, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Position Type : Apprenticeship/Internship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Equine - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Equine
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01430
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to begin a career in the equine industry as a horse care apprentice
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-E or 9- 3. Evidence of qualifications will be required.
Vacancy Full Description : Your duties will include but not be limited to.
• Clean and maintain stables
• Provide feed and water to horses
• Carry out routine care and monitor the health and well-being of horses
• Restrain horses using specified methods
• Monitoring and maintaining health and safety
• Maintain and develop personal performance
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
• Prepare a stable for a horse
• Fit and remove horse clothing
• Plait and trim horses manes and tails
• Clean and groom horses for appearance
• Assess grazing land for the introduction of horses
• Turn out, catch and maintain horses when turned out
• Fit, remove and maintain tack for exercise
• Lunge a horse under supervision
• Care for horses after exercise
• Assist with receiving a horse and carry out an initial assessment
• Load and unload animals for transportation
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours flexible working pattern.
Salary : £160.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 08/06/2018
Possible Start Date : 18/06/2018
Personal Qualities : You will have a willingness to learn from experienced members of staff.
You will be dedicated towards satisfactorily completing your apprenticeship in a timely manner.
Skills Required : Ideally you will have some experience of working with or being around horses.
You need to be able to show initiative and common sense in your daily activities.
You should have a passion to begin a career in the equine industry.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate that proves to be hard working, passionate and with a willingness to learn the long term prospects of a full time position with further training and development are excellent
Training to be Provided : Qualification: Equine Horse Care Pathway Apprenticeship
College Attendance: None
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks. There may be the occasional need to attend either the Otley or Easton campus for short training courses and tests.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour with effect from 1st April 2018. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the industry with a contract of employment
Working Week: 40 hours flexible working pattern.
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Please bear in mind the physical nature of this role.
You will be on your feet most of the day
At times you will be hot cold or wet.