Job Title : Green Keeper Apprentice with Stoke By Nayland Golf and Leisure
Employer : Stoke By Nayland Golf and Leisure
Location : Leavenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Position Type : Apprenticeship/Internship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Horticulture - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Horticulture
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01390
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to develop a career as a professional green keeper with one of the most prestigious golf clubs in the East of England.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 5 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-D or 9-3 including one Science subject. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Vacancy Full Description : Maintenance Skills:
A Golf Greenkeeper must be able to:
• Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others
• Preparing the golf course for play which will include removing early morning dew and debris from the greens, raking bunkers,moving tee markers, cutting new holes on greens
• Preparing and using equipment and machinery to maintain and renovate all turf surfaces within the golf course, including the use of tractors, ride-on machines, and specialist equipment
• Apply turf treatments to help produce quality playing surfaces, including fertilisers and top dressing Using a variety of integrated methods to control weeds, fungal diseases, pests and turf disorders
• Maintain and renovate bunkers and other hazards such as water features
• Maintain drainage and irrigation systems
• Preparing ground to establish turf and plants when maintaining, renovating and constructing golf course features
Knowledge and Understanding. A Golf Greenkeeper must understand the following technical knowledge:
• Identify their role in monitoring and maintaining health and safety within the workplace
• Identification of a number of grasses, weeds, pests, diseases, turf disorders, plants and trees
• The primary aspects of soil and plant biology to include the process of germination photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration
• The principles of mowing and machine maintenance and their operation
• The need and implications of rolling, verti-cutting, scarification and aeration
• The strategies for controlling weeds, pests, diseases and turf disorders
• How fertilisers, top dressing and chemicals affect playing surfaces
• How course maintenance practices affect the environment
• Basic information technology
• Be aware of the importance of the Rules of Golf and golf course etiquette
• Recognise the importance of environmental and ecological best practice
• The operation of irrigation, drainage systems and their maintenance
The Behaviours of a Golf Greenkeeper:
Golf club employers are very customer focused and require their apprentices to have a set of personal skills and behaviours that will ensure success in their current and future roles as an individual and in meeting the company’s aims and objectives. The behaviours required by golf club employees will be:
• Have a strong work ethic including pride in work, attention to detail, integrity and time management
• Have a flexible positive attitude to work
• Ability to work as a lone worker and as a member of a team
• A willingness to learn and contribute to their own continuing professional development
• Having a safety mindset for self, colleagues and golfers
• A clear and effective communicator who can use a variety of communication methods to give/receive information accurately and in a timely and positive manner
• Problem solving and effective decision making
Please note: You will be required to undergo an assessment and interview at the Otley Campus of Easton & Otley College before your application can be considered by the employer.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours per week
Salary : £220.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 06/07/2018
Possible Start Date : 16/07/2018
Personal Qualities : A passion for the role will be expressed at interview but also once employed, asking lots of questions with a thirst for knowledge and understanding will be encouraged.
Skills Required : The ideal candidate ideally will have a passion for both golf and working outdoors in a horticultural setting.
You will have a desire to learn from a team of highly experienced existing green keepers. You will be punctual and flexible in your working hours, events can mean the need to work outside of normal hours.
Customer service is paramount you may well be asked questions by members and guests and will be expected to be courteous and informative, therefore an understanding of customer service and good communication skills are important.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate who proves to be reliable, flexible on hours, with a real passion for the role and a determination to learn and succeed, the long term prospects of a full time role along with further development are excellent.
Training to be Provided : Qualification: Horticulture (Greenkeeping) Standard
College Attendance: there is no regular college attendance required as the qualification will be delivered almost entirely in the workplace.
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks. There will be the occasional need to attend either the Otley or Easton campus for short training courses and tests, including Master Classes.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.70p.h. with effect from 1st April 2018. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training.For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
This employer is offering £220 per week
Working Week: 40 hours per week. You will be rota'd to work every other Saturday or Sunday.
Shortlisting and Interviews - Please note: You will be required to undergo an assessment and interview at the Otley Campus of Easton & Otley College before your application can be considered by the employer. Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Consideration should be given to the physical nature of this role.
Work will be predominantly outdoor you will at times be cold wet or hot.
Events are often held which may necessitate flexibility in your working week.
You must be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times.